Getting from Hvar to Dubrovnik
Getting from Hvar to Dubrovnik – As Hvar is an island just up the coast from Dubrovnik, it seems reasonable to assume it will be easy to reach Dubrovnik from Hvar by ferry. Unfortunately, it is currently not as straight forward as it appears, because there are
no fast direct daily ferries from Hvar Island to Dubrovnik.
However, there are several options to consider, when planning your journey from Hvar to Dubrovnik:
Taking a ferry from Hvar to Split and bus to Dubrovnik:
- Hvar Island has good ferry connections with Split, while Split is well connected with Dubrovnik by buses. There is a daily morning ferry from Hvar to Split (check schedules). Once in Split, it is possible to take a bus to Dubrovnik. Buses from Split to Dubrovnik run at least once an hour. The whole journey from Hvar will take about 5 1/2 hrs (with the bus journey being approximately 4 hours). You can take this journey all year around.
Taking a ferry from Hvar to mainland and drive or take a bus along the coast to Dubrovnik:
- Hvar Island is connected to the Croatian mainland by a daily car ferry which runs between Sucuraj on Hvar Island to Drvenik, on the mainland. If you rent a car with a pick-up option at Hvar and drop-off in Dubrovnik, the whole journey will take about 3.5 – 4 hrs. If you don’t have a car, use one of the public buses which pass through Drvenik on the way from Split. You can take this journey all year around.
Taking a ferry along the coast from Hvar to Dubrovnik:
- If you are making your journey between June and September, you can take a ferry along the coast from Hvar to Dubrovnik. There is Jadrolinija’s ferry which sails twice a week from the Hvar–Stari Grad port via Korcula and Mljet to Dubrovnik (Gruz). This ferry journey takes about 7 hrs (check the timetable and prices). (
Update: this ferry is currently discontinued) Update December 2016 – it is expected for this ferry to be in the operation from summer 2017
Taking a ferry to Korcula (Vela Luka) and another ferry to Dubrovnik:
- If you are making your journey in July and August, you can take a ferry from Hvar to Korcula (Vela Luka) and then get a bus to Korcula Town. Once there, you can take the afternoon ferry to Dubrovnik. This journey is available at least 4 times a week (check Korcula to Dubrovnik ferry schedules). The whole journey from Hvar Town to Dubrovnik will last from early morning to late afternoon – arrival in Dubrovnik is at 6.30pm.
- Hvar to Dubrovnik and back Dubrovnik to Split
- Travelling from Hvar to Dubrovnik
- Island hoping from Dubrovnik to Split via Korcula and Hvar
- Morning ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik
- Travelling from Vis to Dubrovnik stopping in Hvar and Korcula and maybe Mljet